The objectives of CANON are to:
- Share and exchange information about internationally-evolving, legal, policy and technical standards on anonymization.
- Develop a Canadian community of practice among stakeholders that rely on effective anonymization for the success of their organizations across the public and private sectors.
- Educate the community at large about the effectiveness of alternative anonymization methods, and meaningfully contribute to discussions about risks and opportunities.
- Identify emerging issues and challenges with anonymization, including re-identification risks, legal/policy constraints and ambiguities.
- Advocate for balanced legislative and policy standards for anonymization that enable innovative and beneficial uses of data, while reasonably protecting against foreseeable privacy risks.